FIA’s Teacher Political Leadership provides educators an opportunity to elevate their voice as Oakland teachers to take leadership for quality, equity, and access in public education. Teachers will:
- Reconnect with their journey to become a teacher
- Learn about key power levers in the Oakland educational landscape
- Use their voice as an Oakland charter teacher to advocate for quality, access, and equity
- Join a growing, powerful movement for educational equity in Oakland schools
- Learn how they can build electoral power as a teacher
Session 1: What’s at Stake?
Teachers will understand the origin stories in order to explore why they choose to work in a PCS and the values that guided their decision; understand what is happening in Oakland education policy, who benefits, and why; and agitate around who is shaping a vision for equitable access to quality public education in Oakland.
Session 2: Strengthening our Personal Power
Teachers will define power, understand the core principles of power, and to introduce the primary means of developing and exercising their public power; To explore the experience of the group with the four quadrants of exercising power and become aware of the advantages and limits of each; and To share practical power building practices including mapping power relationships and power 1:1’s.
Building Family Leadership >
Parent Leadership Institute
Unifying School Communities >
Quality School Awards
Uplifting Quality Education >
Connecting Educators >